How to Cook French Fries in an Air Fryer
Literally, everyone, we know love and relish French fries; it’s one amazing dish that can double for a snack and an actual meal.
Despite how extraordinarily delicious this dish is, many people struggling with weight loss and gluten intolerance tend to totally exclude French fries from the menu. This is due to its high cholesterol content as it is known to be fried in a lot of fat or vegetable oil.
Now here is the good news: French fries can be healthy and enjoyed by absolutely anyone. Thanks to the air fryer. French fries can be prepared with a very insignificant amount of vegetable oil or none at all.
Video: How To Cook French Fries In An Air Fryer
If you prefer learning by video, this article is also explained here.
Before we hop on to the steps on how to cook French fries in an air fryer, here is how the air fryer works.
The mechanism of the air fryer allows it to cook food by evenly distributing hot air around the food. It does so at an amazing speed which enables the food to turn out very crunchy and crispy. This process as complicated as it sounds takes much less time than the regular oven.
Why Choose An Air Fryer Over An Oven?
You choose an air fryer over an oven because of the upside listed below:
First, air fryer is super compact. This implies that it can fit in little spaces quite unlike the regular oven.
Second, although it is compact, it can fit into absolutely any small space and still function greatly. Because of its size, it has all its heat concentrated inside, so it does not discomfort the user by heating up the whole kitchen space.
Furthermore, food made in the air fryer comes out extra crunchy and crispier than food cooked in the regular oven.
Preheating food in the air fryer takes a lot less time than it does in an oven.
In addition, making French fries with the air fryer is so much healthier than the regular deep frying in so much oil. Hence, air frying is a brilliant way to cut down on the excessive intake of calories and fat, without killing taste.
Air fryers as the name imply, cook food basically with air, so it skips the part where food gets packed with so many calories as a result of submergence in oil.
As cool as using an air fryer sounds, there is a downside to it, but definitely more upside.
For us, the only downside to using your air fryer is the fact that it is a lot smaller than the regular oven. If you need to cook for a larger number of people, it’s usually advised to cook in batches when using the air fryer.
How Can You Know A Perfect French Fry?
You can know a perfect French fry by these qualities:
Taste is the most important of all in the dining experience. Having said that, it is pertinent to use very high-quality potatoes when making your French fries.
For those that might use a little bit of vegetable oil for spraying the potatoes, be certain to use very clean oil. Because the oil can either ruin the taste of your French fries or improve it greatly.
Now, this is a bit tricky, although the taste and choice differ, the widely loved French fries are usually very crispy on the outside and fluffy inside.
Finding the balance is very dicey as making too crunchy fries will result in a very hard exterior that is uncomfortable to eat. If the interior is too gummy, then the fries are not well cooked.
Well-made French fries should appear golden brown. Overcooked fries can be very easily detected by the burn marks or spots on the outside. This also indicates that the oil used is dirty or stale.
This is not exactly a distinct feature of the fries. It is more of the calculation procedure of the production process. Such as how and when are the fries to be cut? What kind of oil will you be using? How clean is the oil? What is your choice of the fryer?
It may interest you to know that most food lovers stay very loyal to some restaurants simply because of the quality French fries they make. They do not even mind driving downtown just to get a taste of their favorite French fries place.
What Are Some of the Types / Variants of Air Fryer Cooked French Fries?
Some of the types / variants of air fryer cooked French fries are:
Sweet potato fries
Crinkle-Cut French Fries
Steak Fries, The Standard Fries
The Standard Fries
Curly French Fries
One might think that since it is so easy to make French fries, it could be such a boring meal. This notion is so far from the truth.
There are so many fun ways to spice up your French fries’ recipe. We have so many fun ideas for making your French fries look and still taste wickedly delicious! Some might even swear that the style of preparation somehow adds to the taste.
Here are a few of them, rated according to their deliciousness.
These seem to be the least favorite of them all as they come chunky with a yummy filling of a baked potato. They do not exactly fulfil that crunchy desire or expectation of French fries’ lovers.
They come out really soft and pretty limp especially as it cools down. This choice will do better for baked potato lovers.
These fries do not have the same problem as the potato wedges, rather it comes out too crispy and crunchy. They appear really cool but not very satisfying when eaten. It’s way much less potato and too much crisp.
Sweet Potato Fries
As the name implies, these are slightly sweet, often loved at one time and hated at other times. This makes it almost not an all-time favorite fries’ option. But this is subject to individual preference.
Crinkle-Cut French Fries
These awesome wavy looking fries spell adventure at first sight. On seeing them, you just fall in love with them. They are heavy and really thick. Invariably, it lacks that fry crunch. Due to its thick texture, it’s best eaten hot as it gets very soggy otherwise.
Steak fries appear as an almost opposite of the crinkle fries, but it surprisingly tastes so much nicer than the crinkle fries. They are usually double fried and cut thick so there is so much potato goodness and delicious crunch for everyone.
The Standard Fries
Ah, the classic standard fries, the originator of all this! This type of French fries is simply the matriarch of all French fries both previous and later. They are quite good and your go-to option when in doubt.
Although these are not so crunchy, it has this really satisfying feel. Maybe because it is really cut slim, so it feels less heavy. You can absolutely shove a handful into your mouth!
Curly French Fries
These fun and playful looking fries taste just as amazing as it looks. It is very crunchy outside and yet soft on the inside. It is in all, filling and as flawless as it is gorgeous.
These French fries take the medal when it comes to French fries’ options. Given that once garlic is put on anything, its sold. The combination of garlic to these French fries makes it so heavenly delicious.
What Type of Seasoning Can Go with Air Fryer Made French Fries?
Having your French fries made plain in an air fryer is delicious. But if you are looking to explore that feel-good super yummy French fries feel, you might want to spice things up a little.
Air fryer cooked French fries are always super versatile, and they definitely can be enjoyed with various seasonings and flavors.
Now the question is, what seasonings can go with your French fries?
When choosing seasonings, it’s best to go for those that are not too erratic, so the original flavor of the potato is not lost.
Video: How To Make French Fries in an Air Fryer
This video explains in simple steps, how you can cook french fries in an air fryer.
So, your French fries came off limp and quite soggy, not to worry. Just lightly sprinkle some garlic or onion powder over them and watch them turn amazing!
During the final 10-15 minutes fryer time, swish some butter, ground garlic and some parsley all over for a delicious garlic butter French fries.
For that spicy, out-of-this-world feel, brush your air fryer fries with some Cajun seasoning or a little soy sauce mixed up with some hot sauce seasoning.
Some Air Fryer French Fries Recipes
This is probably the simplest yet delicious way to make your air fryer fries. It is quick and easy once you get through the part where the potatoes have to soak for a while.
Simple Air Fryer Made French Fries
- 4 large Irish potatoes
- 3-4 tablespoon full vegetable oil
- Wash the potatoes very thoroughly.
- Slice to desired cut size and soak in a cool water. Allow to sit for about an hour, this helps to make the fries very crispy with all the excess starch removed.
- Set the air fryer at 374 degrees
- Drain the potato water. Pat them dry using a kitchen paper towel.
- Sprinkle the oil, pepper and some salt on the fries.
- Without stacking the fries on one another, place the fries in the basket. Be sure to arrange them all making sure they are on the same level.
- Let cook for 12-14 minutes or till they turn golden brown and crispy.
- When done, put them out on the baking sheet or kitchen paper towel over the cooling rack.
- Serve warm and with any sauce dressing or dip of your choice.
Cheese French Fries
This French fry option is super delicious, and you can try it out with your various favorite toppings. In addition to this being versatile, it is also surprisingly easy to make.
- 1 bag of French fries
- A cup of shredded cheese (cheddar or any of your choice will work)
- 1/3 -1/4 tablespoon full of salt.
- 1/3 tablespoon full black pepper (optional)
- Follow the prior instructions for the preparation of French fries in your air fryer
- Properly arrange the fries in the air fryer basket.
- Shut the lid and set the fryer to about 400 degrees.
- Set the timer to 8 minutes. Toss the fries around often, re-set for more 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle some salt, the shredded cheese, and your desired toppings all over the fries.
- Cook for extra one minute or till the cheese has melted.
- Serve and consume immediately.
Air Fryer Zucchini Fries
This is a healthy guilt-free French fries option. Its crispy coating passes them as a perfect snack. It requires no oil at all. You really got to try this!
- 5 large zucchini ends removed and well washed.
- A medium egg
- One tablespoon water
- ¼ cup of regular breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons full of all your favorite spices
- Salt, onion powder.
- Black pepper ground.
- 3 tablespoon parmesan cheese.
- Oil spray.
- Wash and cut off the zucchini stems /ends.
- Pat dry the zucchini and cut into fingers.
- In a clean shallow bowl, break an egg, add water and beat till it becomes frothy.
- Toss a handful of zucchinis around in the bowl to coat.
- In another clean bowl, mix the breadcrumbs, spices, and cheese. Ensure they are properly mixed.
- Coat the zucchini fries properly in a few batches and place neatly into the basket.
- Spray oil lightly over the zucchini fries set air fryer for 7 minutes and 400 degrees.
- Continuously toss around until browned.
- Remove. If not done, cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Enjoy with your favorite dip or sauce dressing.
Garlic Air Fryer Fries
This is indeed a five- star fries option that doubles as a portion of comfort food and actual food. It is easy to make and super delicious. This parmesan and garlic French fries combo is simply bustling with deliciousness and rich flavor.
A must try!
- 3 Irish potatoes, well washed.
- One tablespoon of olive or any vegetable oil of desire.
- One tablespoon of ground garlic
- 1/3 cup of parmesan cheese grated.
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon full black pepper ground.
- One teaspoon full fresh parsley chopped, but optional.
- Preset your air fryer to 400 degrees.
- Cut potatoes into finger-like shape or into thin wedges as you like.
- In a large bowl, pour the potatoes, drizzle them all over and coat very well with oil.
- Rub in the garlic, salt, pepper and parmesan cheese.
- Arrange well in the basket do not let them overlap. Fry for 25 minutes. Toss around often for evenness.
- Once it’s golden and crunchy, put down.
- If you like parsley, sprinkle it on the fries and serve warm.
Air Fryer Potato Wedges with Spicy and Sweet Yoghurt Dip
We think you might just get obsessed with this amazing recipe. This recipe is great as a noon pick-me-up snack, or a-back-from-work-home meal. It is also super compliant for someone looking to lose some weight.
Either way, it is simply heavenly.
You can try this out with sweet potatoes as well.
- 4 large potatoes cut into wedges
- 2 ½ tablespoon full vegetable oil
- One teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cumin ground
- Black pepper ground.
- 1 cup low-fat yoghurt or Greek yoghurt
- ½ minced jalapeno
- 2 tablespoon lime zest
- One tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Preset the air fryer 400 degrees.
- In a clean bowl, place the washed and dry pat potato wedges.
- Sprinkle some salt, black pepper, some oil, cumin and paprika. Rub them all over the potato wedges properly.
- Cook in the air fryer for about 25 minutes, flipping them over through the cooking time.
- Cook until it turns golden brown. Then turn it over on a cooling rack and keep warm.
- In a clean small bowl, mix the jalapeno, yoghurt, ½ lime zest, lime juice, some pepper and salt.
- Serve your air fryer fries with the spicy-sweet yoghurt dip. Add more lime zest on top if you prefer.
Air Fryer Nachos French Fries
Oh, yes! They are just as delectable as they sound.
- 4 large potatoes washed
- 1 tablespoon full vegetable oil
- ½ chopped onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 kg minced beef
- 1 teaspoon full each paprika and chilli pepper
- 1 teaspoon full kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper ground
- 3 cups shredded parmesan cheese or Monterey jack
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 cup shredded jalapenos or green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley.
- Set the air fryer, 400 degrees. Pat dry the fries and arrange in a single layer.
- In a medium skillet, heat some oil and chopped onion. Cook till a bit tender then scoop in the garlic. Cook for a minute.
- Gradually stir the ground beef in, the paprika, salt, chilli pepper. Cook for 6-7minutes, till beef, is no longer pink. Drain the fat if it is a lot.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese on the French fries and cook for extra 8-10 minutes.
- In another clean small bowl, whisk together hot sauce and some sour cream till its smooth.
- If the air fryer cooked French fries is ready, top them with some parsley and jalapenos, then drizzle the fries with some sour spicy cream.
Loaded Breakfast French Fries
Start your day with this deliciousness and you will be smiling all day long!
You can use your warmed-up leftover fries for this.
- Already made French fries (maybe a bag)
- 2 cups of cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/3 sausage with casings removed
- 2 tablespoon full multi-purpose flour
- A cup of whole milk
- Salt (kosher)
- Black pepper freshly ground.
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- One tablespoon vegetable oil
- 5 large eggs
- Chives (optional for garnish)
- Preset the air fryer to 400 degrees. In the fryer basket, scoop some of the French fries into the fryer basket. Cook the fries in batches if it is too much. Lay them out well and sprinkle some cheese on them.
- Cook till cheese melts and the French fries have become crispy again. This could take about 15 minutes.
- To make gravy, over very medium heat, using a medium skillet, cook the sausage till it turns brown
- Lightly pour some flour over it, cook for a minute. Pour in the milk and let boil for 5 minutes or till it becomes very thick.
- Add some cayenne, black pepper and salt to the gravy, then put down from heat.
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat up some vegetable oil, crack eggs very apart from each other.
- Pour two tablespoon of water around the eggs and cover skillet tightly to cook for 4-5 minutes or till the egg whites set.
- Scoop out the French fries gently without scattering them onto a large serving plate.
- Over the now cheesy French fries, carefully arrange the eggs, drizzle all over with gravy.
- Serve warm. You can garnish with chives as you desire!
Margherita Pizza French Fries
This recipe makes it possible to have all your food obsession in one sweet place. Now you no longer need to choose between your dearly beloved French fries and the super delectable pizza.
- Already home-made French fries (about a bag)
- 3 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoon canola oil
- Salt (kosher)
- 2 kg marinated mozzarella cheese cut about ½ chunks.
- 1/3 sliced basil
- Preset the air fryer 400 degrees
- Cook fries in the fryer for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile season cherry tomatoes with oil, pepper and salt. Roast for 20 minutes.
- Top the French fries with some mozzarella cheese and the roasted tomatoes. Cook for more 10 minutes till cheese melts.
- Sprinkle with some basil.
Check out these amazing articles on air frying:
- How To Deep Fry Without A Deep Fryer
- How to Cook Fish in Air Fryer
- How To Use NuWave Air Fryer
- How To Cook Bacon In Air Fryer
- What Does An Air Fryer Do – What You Should Know
- How To Cook Chicken In Air Fryer – All You Need To Know
- When cooking in an air fryer, never overcrowd the fryer.
- Fresh organic potatoes are best when making French fries in an air fryer. Try to ditch the frozen ones.
- Do not overlap food in the air fryer.
- Always pay attention to know when it is appropriate to flip or toss the food around a little.
- Always pat dry food to be cooked in the air fryer except for ones with coating or toppings.
- When cooking frozen foods, remember to always drain the air frying before the end of cook time.
- Avoid spraying oil all over the air fryer.
- If you must use oil, make sure to sprinkle it directly on the food.
- When there is leftover, wrap it up in a Ziploc bag and refrigerate.
- To reheat the leftover, place the French fries back into the air fryer and cook again 3 minutes. The fries will crisp back.
- Never cook food in a dirty air fryer, clean the air fryer out after every use.
How to Cook French Fries in An Air Fryer — Related FAQs
How Do I Make Chicken Fries in An Air Fryer?
To make chicken fries in an air fryer, follow these directions:
1. Spray a healthy oil of your choice inside the air fryer basket. You can use olive or avocado oil. It is always better with intense heating oil such as avocado oil because they block smoke at elevated temperatures.
2. Arrange the chicken fries on the air fryer basket’s base..
3. Allow cooking at 199 degrees Celsius for eight minutes. Ensure you shake your basket midway to get all the sides done.
4. Give an additional two minutes for crunchy golden chicken fries.
5. Serve warm with any side dish of your choice.
Can You Cook Chicken and French Fries Together in An Air Fryer?
You can cook chicken and french fries together in an air fryer. To do so, follow the instructions:
1. Put the chicken (tenderloins) on a particular side of the air fryer basket’s base. Cook for three minutes.
2. Put a pause to the fryer so you can bring in the french fries.
3. Allow cooking of both for an extra twelve minutes at 375o degrees Fahrenheit.
4. Always add extra minutes to your cooking if you open the air fryer thereby interrupting your cooking since it lowers the heat of the air fryer. You just need to reheat once more.
5. Enjoy your crusty chicken and fries with your favorite side dish.
Are Air Fried French Fries Healthy?
Air fried French fries are healthy. They are healthier than most deep frying methods of cooking. This is due to the fact that air fryers work with little or no oil while distributing hot air around the food it cooks.
When cooking in an air fryer, you do not need to worry about high-calorie content that results from surplus fat coming from the deep fryers. Another good thing about the air fryer is that it still gives you the same flavor and crunchy feel at the end of the cooking.
How Can You Cut Potatoes into Fries?
To cut potatoes into fries, follow these instructions:
1. Peel or scrape the back of your potatoes (optional)
2. Set the potatoes on one side.
3. Begin by cutting a lean slice.
4. Use a tomato knife to cut more lean slices.
5. Turn over the lean slices and cut vertically the way you love your French fries.
6. You can assemble 4 or 5 slices and cut them at a go to get your desired fries.
7. Air fry when you have sliced the right quantity.
How Do You Make Frozen Fries Taste Better?
You can make frozen fries taste better by doing the following:
1. Preheat your air fryer and do not allow the frozen fries to defrost before air frying. When you preheat the air fryer, it brings out crisp fries.
2. Add citrus extract such as lemon, vinegar, or mandarin to increase the potatoes’ natural flavors. Do not go overboard because you will end up with soggy fries
3. Make sure your air fryer is set at 200o degrees Celsius for 12–14 minutes. Flip the basket midway to get all sides cooked.
4. Season your fries with herbs, spices like rosemary (fresh), turmeric, olive oil, and garlic.
5. Use a topping like a mozzarella cheese to get the richness in your fries.
Can You Fry An Egg in An Air Fryer?
You can fry an egg in an air fryer using these steps:
1. Assembly your ingredients (egg, butter, pepper, and salt)
2. Put an aluminum pan (small–size) in the air fryer basket.
3. Bring in your butter and get it to 177o degrees Celsius (350o degree Fahrenheit) This time allows the melting of the butter and takes just a minute.
4. Break the eggs into a plate and add your salt, pepper, and onion.
5. Whisk the eggs until well beaten.
6. Pour the egg in the aluminum pan.
7. Replace in the air fryer and allow cooking at 163o degrees Celsius (320o degrees Fahrenheit) for seven-eight minutes
8. When the egg is done, serve with your favorite side dish.