How to Cook Fish in Air Fryer
Our craving for the traditional fish and chips combo is unending. But we don’t like the thought of getting out that big oven and filling it up with so much oil.
Deep frying may be messy and cleaning up afterwards isn’t something we want to do at the moment.
Well, have you thought about how to cook fish in air fryer?
This method is very healthy as we won’t be frying with a lot of oil. So, there will be no room for unhealthy calories.
Video: How To Cook Fish In Air Fryer
If you prefer learning by video, this article is also explained here.
The air fryer fish is delicious and crispy. You can make it within a very short time and it’s a great option for people with very busy schedules.
Besides, you can cook fish in the air fryer with just the same ingredients you’d use for deep frying or oven method. We will outline the steps involved; they are very simple and easy to follow.
Air Fryer Fish Using Breadcrumbs
Prep Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 17 – 20 minutes
Servings – 2
How to Cook Air Fryer Fish with Breadcrumbs- Ingredients
To cook air fryer fish with breadcrumbs, you need the following ingredients:
1. 1 pound of your favorite fish, cut into 4 strips
2. Kosher salt
3. Freshly ground black pepper
4. 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour
5. 1 large egg, beaten
6. 2 cups of panko breadcrumbs
7. 1 tsp. Old Bay seasoning
8. Lemon wedges, for serving
9. Tartar sauce, for serving
How Do You Cook Fish in Air Fryer Using Breadcrumbs?
To cook fish in air fryer using breadcrumbs, follow these procedures:
First, cut the fish and clean each piece properly. Place them in a clean bowl. Rinse and pat them dry using paper towels. But you can keep them a bit damp.
Second, put the panko, egg, and flour in 3 different bowls. Pour the Old Bay into the bowl of panko; toss to get a thorough mix. Coat the fish with flour. Afterwards, coat it with egg and lastly in the panko. Do these for each piece of fish, one after the other.
Third, place the pieces of fish in your air fryer basket. Set the temperature at 400 degrees Fahrenheit and cooking time for ten (10) to twelve (12) minutes. You will need to flip each piece halfway during the cooking except your appliance can flip automatically.
Lastly, when your fish is cooked, you can serve with tartar sauce and lemon wedges. You can also use any sauce of your choice.
Remember that the air fryer should not be overcrowded if you need your food to cook evenly. Hence, your fish should be cooked in batches. Also, the cooking time is determined by the thickness of the fish and you can use any fish seasoning of your choice. Go with what works for you.
Furthermore, we know that some people are trying to cut down on carbs and a recipe with breadcrumbs may not work. So, here is another recipe without the breadcrumbs:
Air Fryer Fish Without Breadcrumbs
Prep Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 10 minutes
Servings – 2
How to Cook Air Fryer Fish without Breadcrumbs- Ingredients
To cook air fryer fish without breadcrumbs, you need the following ingredients:
1. 12 ounces of tilapia fillets or your favorite white fish
2. 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
3. 1/2 teaspoon of lemon pepper
4. 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder. This is optional.
5. Kosher salt
6. Freshly ground black pepper
7. Freshly chopped parsley
8. Lemon wedges
How Do You Cook Air Fryer Fish without Breadcrumbs?
To cook air fryer fish without breadcrumbs, follow these procedures:
First, preheat your air fryer at a temperature of 360 degrees Fahrenheit for five (5) minutes.
Second, rinse the pieces of fish and pat them dry with a paper towel. Spray some olive oil on the fish. Then season with lemon pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, and salt. Ensure that both sides of the fish are well coated.
Third, line the inside of your air fryer with some parchment paper. Spray the paper lightly with olive oil. But if you are not lining, ensure you spray some olive oil at the bottom of the fryer basket. This will stop the fish from sticking.
Fourth, place the fish pieces on the parchment paper and add some lemon wedges beside them. Allow to cook at a temperature of 360 degrees Fahrenheit for 6 to 12 minutes.
You can allow the fish to keep cooking it is golden brown or can be easily flaked using a fork. If you are using a thicker fish, it will take more time to cook properly.
Lastly, allow the fish to cool. Then sprinkle some chopped parsley and serve with the lemon wedges.
Ensure you cook your fish in batches for best results.
If you are looking for a favorite air fryer fish recipe, you can try our air fryer fish and fries recipe.
Air Fryer Fish and Fries
Prep Time – 15 minutes
Cooking Time – 25 minutes
Servings – 4
How to Cook Air Fryer Fish and Fries-Ingredients
- 2 medium-sized potatoes
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon of pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
For the Fish, use the following ingredients:
- 1/3 cup of flour (all-purpose)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 2/3 cup of crushed cornflakes
- 1 tablespoon of grated cheese (Parmesan)
- 1/8 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 pound of cod or haddock fillets (or any of your favorite fish)
- Tartar sauce. This is optional.
How Do You Cook Air Fryer Fish and Fries?
To cook air fryer fish and fries, follow these procedures:
1. Preheat your air fryer at a temperature of 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Peel the potatoes and cut them lengthwise in half inches, thick slices; cut the slices into half inches, thick sticks.
2. Toss the potatoes with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper in a deep bowl. Place the potatoes in the fryer basket. They should be placed in one layer.
3. Cook until tender. After 5-10 minutes of cooking, flip the potatoes; cook for more 5 to 10 minutes until they are light brown and crispy.
4. In a wide bowl, mix the flour and the pepper. In another bowl, whisk the egg with water. In the third bowl, mix the cheese with cayenne and cornflakes.
5. Sprinkle salt on the fish; dip each piece into the flour mixture. Both sides should be properly coated; shake off the excess. Dip the fish pieces in the egg mixture and the cornflakes mixture; pat to help them coat properly.
6. Remove the fries from the fryer basket; keep them warm. In one layer, place the fish in the fryer basket. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes until the fish is light brown or can be flaked easily using a fork.
7. Remember to flip the fish halfway during the cooking and avoid overcooking.
8. Return the fries to the fryer basket and allow to heat through. Serve immediately. Serve with some tartar sauce, if desired.
Cooking fish in air fryer is such an interesting experience, isn’t it? We believe you enjoyed reading through the recipes and will also try them out immediately. When you finally do, remember to share the outcome with us as we look forward to hearing from you. Have a splendid time trying out the recipes!
Check out these other interesting articles on air fryer cooking:
- How to Cook Frozen French Fries in an Air Fryer
- How To Use NuWave Air Fryer
- What Does An Air Fryer Do – What You Should Know
- How To Cook Chicken In Air Fryer – All You Need To Know
- How to Cook French Fries in an Air Fryer
- How To Cook Bacon In Air Fryer
How to Cook Fish in an Air Fryer — Related FAQs
How Do You Get Baked On Grease out of An Air Fryer?
You can get baked on grease out of an air fryer by using soapy water. The water should be hot enough to wash the air fryer basket since they are detachable. Depending on what is sticking with the grease on the basket, you can soak it in soapy water for ten minutes or more. This will help the grease loosen up thereby making washing easier.
Alternatively, you can use a dishwasher but that will be after you have taken a look at the manufacturer’s care guidelines for the protection of your dishwasher. After washing, allow all detachable attachments to completely dry before you make use of them again.
Is Cod a Good Fish to Eat?
Cod is a good fish to eat. It is highly nutritious and delicious. It contains some of the healthy nutrients our body needs to function maximally. Some of the nutrients are lean protein, selenium, phosphorus, and B-Vitamins.
B-Vitamins help to work on food, causing us to release energy. Selenium helps protect our DNA while phosphorus is an important constituent of our teeth and bones.
Cod is also low in calories, carbs, and fat which makes it a very healthy fish. It is an excellent source of niacin and vitamin B6. These are responsible for important chemical reactions in our body. Cod liver oil is a very good source of vitamin D and provides a good dose of omega-3 fatty acids.
How Do You Keep Fish From Smelling When Cooking?
When cooking, you can keep fish from smelling by doing the following:
1. Ensure you buy your fish the day you will cook it so that it maintains its freshness.
2. Quickly roast it over a stovetop or in an oven, if you are not able to cook the fish that day.
3. Use lemon wedges to scrub your fish. On the other hand, you can cut the orange and lemon so they can release their citrus oils which disperses the smell.
4. You can boil some of your favorite potpourri or rosemary twigs in a pot to take away the smell. Another way is by burning your scented candle to diffuse the odor.
Does Air Frying Destroy Key Nutrients?
Air frying does not destroy key nutrients. This is owing to the fact that it distributes dry heat around the food being cooked. With this process, none of the valuable nutrients will be lost in our home-cooked meals. Comparing air frying with other methods, you will notice that it stands top when nutrient retention comes to the fore.
Suffice it to say that air frying makes it easy for you to get all the important nutrients in your meals. Also, the antioxidants in your vegetables will be preserved.
Are Air Fryers Good for Fish?
Air fryers are the best for fish and other seafood. It seems the air fryers were made with seafood in mind. No wonder some air fryers have the right setting just for seafood. The air fryer will give you what you need in your fish menu and much more. Your fish comes out crunchy, tasty, and with the right temperature.
So, if you are still contemplating on using your air fryer to cook your fish, now is the time to begin because the air fryer will give you the awesomeness you desire in your fish no matter the type of fish you are cooking.
Can I Cook Frozen Fish Sticks in An Air Fryer?
Frozen fish sticks can be cooked in an air fryer. To cook the frozen fish sticks, follow the instructions below:
1. Pour the frozen fish sticks in the basket of the air fryer, giving enough space for even cooking. Frozen fish sticks do not need extra oil.
2. Set the temperature at 400 degrees Fahrenheit and allow air frying for eight minutes. Ensure you turn over the frozen fish sticks midway through cooking to get all sides done.
3. For an extra crunchy outcome, allow cooking for an extra two-four minute with the same temperature.
4. When the fish is done, allow it to cool, then serve with any sauce of your choice.