How To Cook Chicken In Air Fryer – All You Need To Know
Searching for a juicy, crispy, and very easy way to make your chicken?
It’s simply in an air fryer!
Hop on board and let us show you how to cook chicken in air fryer.
The chicken comes out sumptuous, crispy, flavor-filled, super healthy and very easy to make. The fun thing pertaining to air fryer chicken is that it has many versatile options.
You can have them crispy with or without a sauce, with a salad, etc. It is super healthy for low carb dieting as it requires the use of little amount of oil.
Either way, it’s a very fun and simple way to make chicken.
Air fryer chicken is cooked so perfectly moist and easy to prepare. You could make it with as little as pepper, some salt, a couple of spices, barbeques sauces, and a few extra ingredients as per your preference.
Video: How To Cook Chicken In Air Fryer
If you prefer learning by video, this article is also explained here.
Why Use An Air Fryer?
An air fryer has many benefits that will move you to use it. Some of those benefits are:
1. An air fryer cooks food by distributing hot air in a circular motion round the food, making use of the convection mechanism. The hot air is circulated all over the food at a very high speed.
2. It absorbs liquid from the outer layer of the dish and sucks it back in. This will create a crispy layer with deliciously, well-seasoned interior.
3. Although the meat appears very crispy like it was deep-fried in hot oil, air fryer requires very little or no oil at all to cook food. This makes it healthier, having skipped all the additional calories.
4. Air fryer is compact, unlike some bulky appliances. It takes up very little countertop space and yet offers so much!
5. It makes more even and faster-cooked meals.
6. In addition to saving time and making healthy meals, the fryer is one kitchen appliance that one can acquire without breaking the bank.
7. It is a lot easy to clean. This is because air fryers are modelled with non-stick materials, so it does not make food greasy or so sticky. When there is no grease, there’s little or no mess at all.
Air fryer is super necessary for people intending to embark on the keto lifestyle or a weight loss program. Check out our article on what you need to know about the air fryer.
Making Crispy Air Fryer Chicken
We already agree that using an air fryer gives you very crispy, deliciously moisty, well-flavoured and super healthy food. But here are some ideas to consider:
To get a crispy chicken skin, take some time to pat dry it. You can do this by using a kitchen paper towel to suck up some juice from the skin. This will help your air fryer give you a crispier outcome.
While cooking the chicken in an air fryer, turn it over often during the cooking time. You can start cooking the chicken skin side placed down and turned over to cook completely.
When trying out a simple chicken recipe, you should first salt the chicken skin before you proceed with other spices and ingredients.
If you intend to have air fryer chicken with a sauce dressing afterwards, remember to keep it very simple with the spices. Try a little salt, pepper, garlic, paprika, curry powder, and a little bit of brown sugar to give it a glossy look. You can also use any spice that you prefer.
When choosing a sauce dressing to go with your chicken, consider going for the gooey, shiny and sticky ones. This is because these types of sauce dressing contain sugars. They easily melt and crystallize when smeared on the chicken. Afterwards, the chicken can be placed back into the fryer to broil a little bit more.
What Duration Is Most Appropriate For Cooking Air Fryer Chicken?
The duration of cooking air fryer chicken is solely dependent on a number of factors. They include:
the thickness of the meat,
the cut sizes and
whether the chicken has skinless parts or its skin is on.
Professional chefs advise to specific timing. Here are some generally advised duration for cooking chicken in an air fryer.
Air Fryer Chicken Breast
This is best cooked in your air fryer for at least 25 to 30 minutes at 165 to 180 degrees as the thickness may be.
Air Fryer Chicken Wing
It is advised to cook this for a minimum of 25 to 30 minutes, over a temperature of about 400 degrees, flipping every 5 to 7 minutes.
Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
These parts of the chicken should be cooked for 28 to 30 minutes till it gets to a temperature of 180 to 190 degrees. Cooking chicken thighs to very high temperature enables the meat to cook really tender and the meat fiber, properly broken down.
Air Fryer Chicken Tenders
As the thickness may be, air fryer chicken tenders should be cooked for 15 to 18 minutes at a temperature of 165 to 170 degrees.
Video: Air Fryer Southern Fried Chicken.
This video explains in simple, fun, and easy steps, all you need to make this delicious recipe.
Some Simple Air Fryer Chicken Recipes
Air Fryer Delicious Fried Chicken?
- Buttermilk or yoghurt
- Hot sauce
- Onion and garlic powder
- Cayenne pepper or black pepper
- A pair of tongs for flipping
- Parchment papers
- Oil sprayer bottle
- A clean bowl
How Do You Cook Your Air Fryer Delicious Fried Chicken?
To cook your air fryer delicious fried chicken, follow these simple steps:
1. In a clean bowl, marinate the chicken in half of the buttermilk or yoghurt and half of the hot sauce. If the buttermilk is out of reach, replace with plain yoghurt.
2. Put the chicken marinate into the refrigerator for about an hour or preferably 24 hours. This is best because it allows the chicken enough time to suck up the marinate and stay juicy on the inside.
3. Mix the flour together with the seasoning, pepper, onion and garlic powder, some salt and any other favorite spice of your choice. Be sure to mix them properly, free of lumps.
4. Using a clean thong, take the chicken out of the marinade one after the other. Let it drain a little bit, place into the flour, mix and coat it properly. To prevent the coated chicken from sticking to the bottom part of your air fryer, you can place a perforated parchment paper on the bottom part of your air fryer. While doing this, ensure that the meat is quickly placed on parchment paper. This should press it down to avoid being blown into your air fryer heating coils, thereby starting a fire.
5. Be sure to arrange the chicken parts in a way that none is touching the other. Space them out properly.
6. Close your air fryer then set the timer at 25 mins and at a temperature of 390 degrees.
7. Open your air fryer after 13 to 15 minutes. The chicken should still have some patches of dry flour on it. You can spray or sprinkle some oil on these spots and turn over the chicken parts with the tongs. After that, shut your air fryer.
8. Allow to keep cooking. Be sure to cook the chicken at exactly 165 degrees. When it is cooked, you can go ahead and enjoy your chicken.
Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
This sumptuous chicken air fryer recipe offers juicy, tender chicken that tastes just as great as fried chicken. It is a lot healthier than the regular fried chicken.
- 5 chicken thighs having the skin and bones
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon full black pepper
How Do You Cook Air Fryer Chicken Thighs?
To cook air fryer chicken thighs follow the instructions below:
1. Dry out the chicken thighs using a kitchen paper towel.
2. Shake in some pepper and salt on all the chicken thighs.
3. Preset your air fryer. The temperature should be about 350 degrees.
4. Spacing out the chicken properly, put them in your fryer basket.
5. Close your air fryer. Let it cook for 18-25 minutes.In between the cooking time, turn over the chicken thighs, cook for more 7-9 minutes.You can insert your meat thermometer into the thick parts of the thigh till it has cooked to about 165-170 degrees.
6. Enjoy your air fryer chicken thighs, using any of your preferred sauce dressing.
Air Fryer Chicken Breasts
This quick recipe could be a dinner or lunch option for the family. This is a very juicy and well flavored air fryer chicken recipe. It is super fun and delicious for everyone.
- Salt (preferably kosher salt)
- chicken breasts boneless
- Olive oil
- Garlic powder
- Black pepper or cayenne pepper
- Onion powder
- Dried parsley
How Do You Cook Air Fryer Chicken Breasts?
To cook air fryer chicken breasts follow these instructions:
1. Pound the chicken breasts to level it out and enable it to cook evenly.
2. In a big bowl of clean warm water, add about 1/3 to 1/5 cup of salt and allow to dissolve.
3. Immerse the chicken breasts in the bowl of warm salty water. Put it in the refrigerator for about 1-2hours so that it can brine.
4. Pull the chicken breasts out of the brine and dry out with a kitchen paper towel. In another smaller bowl, mix a little salt and ½ portion of the spices.
5. Sprinkle some oil on all the chicken breasts and rub it all over alongside the spice mix.
6. Set your air fryer, arrange the chicken breasts in your fryer basket and cook.
7. Flip the chicken breasts intermittently till it browns all over. Be sure to let it cook through at least 10-15 minutes.
8. Enjoy your superb air fryer chicken breasts.
Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets
This amazing homemade bunch of golden crispy goodness is made with chunks of chicken breasts covered in parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs. Every member of the family will totally fall in love with this quick and simple air fryer chicken recipe especially children that are picky eaters. It can serve as dinner, lunch, and snacks.
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts, neatly cut into 1-inch sizes
- ½ teaspoon of kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 7 teaspoon full fresh seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoon full, grated parmesan cheese.
- Vegetable oil spray (preferably olive oil)
How Do You Cook Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets?
To cook your air fryer chicken nuggets follow the instructions below:
1. Preset your air fryer to about 400 degrees for say 7 – 8 minutes.
2. Pour some olive oil into a bowl, put aside.
3. In another bowl, combine the breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese.
4. Season the cut chicken breasts with a little bit of salt and black pepper.
5. Put the chicken in the bowl containing the olive oil.
6. Mix evenly making sure the olive oil coats the chicken well.
7. Place a few chunks of the breasts one at a time into the breadcrumbs and be sure it is well coated.
8. Take out from the bread crumb and place on your air fryer basket.
9. Sprinkle some olive oil on all the chicken breast chunks.
10. Cover and allow to cook.
11. After 8 to 10 minutes, flip the chunks of chicken breasts over to enable it to cook evenly till its golden brown. It’s ready to eat!
12. You can serve your super delicious chicken nuggets with some ketchup, green salad, sauce or any of your favorite dips.
Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan
This easy, very delicious, and super juicy air fryer chicken recipe always turns great as a family meal. It does not get stuck to your air fryer or create a mess. This is because it does not require oil.
- 4 thin cutlets of chicken breasts.
- 6 tablespoon full seasoned whole wheat or gluten-free breadcrumbs.
- 2 tablespoon full parmesan cheese grated.
- 1 tablespoon full of melted butter
- 6 tablespoon full mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup of marinara sauce (To make marinara sauce, combine in a medium pot olive oil, sautéed garlic, crushed tomatoes, a pinch of salt, some pepper, bay leave, oregano. Simmer under low heat for say 14-20 minutes. Then remove the heat)
- Oil spray.
How Do You Cook Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan?
To cook air fryer chicken parmesan follow these instructions:
1. Set your air fryer, 360 degrees, allow for 3 minutes.
2. In a clean dry bowl mix parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs.
3. Melt the butter in another bowl, set aside.
4. Brush the melted butter on all the chicken, dip it in the breadcrumb mix.
5. If the air dryer is ready, place two pieces of the meat cutlets into the air dryer basket and sprinkle some oil on top of it.
6. Let the chicken breasts cook for 6 minutes till the cheese melts.
7. Set apart and keep it warm. If you cooked in batches, repeat this process with the remaining ones.
Peruvian Air Fryer Whole Chicken
This chicken recipe is totally enveloped in a classic herb marinade. A perfect roast, delicious flavor, crispy and overall amazing. You got to try this out!
- 3 tablespoon full olive or sunflower oil
- ½ tablespoon full of kosher salt.
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons full of lime juice
- 1 tablespoon full of ground black pepper.
- 2 tablespoons full of paprika.
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano.
- 2 tablespoons full of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon full of cumin seeds.
- 2 tablespoon full brown sugar
How Do You Cook Peruvian Air Fryer Whole Chicken?
To cook your Peruvian air fryer chicken follow the instructions below:
1. In a food processor, blend and marinade all the ingredients except the chicken.
2. Pat the already washed whole chicken dry with a kitchen towel.
3. Carefully smear the marinade all over the whole chicken inside out, even beneath the skin. Cover the whole chicken with a thin transparent poly bag and Leave to marinate in a refrigerator for 5- one whole day. The longer the meat stays in the marinade, the better.
4. Place the breast side down, allow to cook for 30 minutes or more on 360 degrees. Open your air fryer occasionally and turn the chicken over, allow to continue cooking for extra 20 minutes still on 360 degrees.
5. Stick the meat thermometer in the thickest parts of the meat, if it reads 165 degrees or even more, then the whole chicken is ready and done.
6. When the chicken has rested for about 20 minutes, you can serve it. This chicken also goes very well with the Peruvian green sauce.
Air Fryer Fresh Chicken Wings
Searching for tips on how to cook perfectly crispy chicken wings into your air fryer, here is the perfect place to look. Air fryer chicken wings are a super appropriate appetizer or snack for a game-day.
- 6 pieces washed fresh chicken wings
- ½ teaspoon full salt
- ½ teaspoon full black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Any desired spice of your preference
How Do You Cook Air Fryer Fresh Chicken Wings?
To cook your air fryer fresh chicken wings follow these instructions:
1. Pat the chicken wings dry.
2. Rub a little salt on all the chicken wings, put them in your fryer basket.
3. Allow to cook closed for about 30 minutes on 400 degrees. Flip the wings 5-7 minutes often, cook till 165 degrees.
4. When the wings are cooked to crisp, pull them out to a bowl and spice them with the black pepper, some paprika and any other spice, sauce dressing or herbs of your desire.
5. Put the spiced wings back into your air fryer, let it cook for additional 3 minutes still at 400 degrees. Cook the chicken wings to at the minimum 165 degrees.
6. Once its done, pull them out and let it sit for a while, then serve with a sauce or dip of your choice.
What Can Go with Air Fryer Chicken?
Air fryer chicken can be served alongside a lot of other delicious air fryer options. This can be:
slim noodles, etc.
Here are some recipes to go with almost every air fryer chicken.
Peruvian Green Sauce
This amazingly delicious Peruvian green sauce is super easy to make. It is healthy and goes well with any kind of meat roast. You will totally fall in love with this sauce like we did the first time we tried it out.
- A cup of cilantro chopped roughly
- ½ a cup of mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoon cotija or cottage cheese
- Fresh jalapenos
- 5 peeled garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoon full sunflower oil
- 2 tablespoon full freshly squeezed lime juice.
- 1 cap full of white vinegar
- 1/3 teaspoon full of salt
How Do You Cook Peruvian Green Sauce?
To cook your Peruvian green sauce follow the instructions below:
1. Remove all the seeds and membranes of the jalapenos before blending, for a mild sauce. But you can blend them in if you favor a heavily spicy sauce.
2. In a blender, smoothly blend all the ingredients. So, there you have it, your very own Peruvian green sauce refrigerate for up to 5- 8 days.
3. Try saving it in a glass jar as well. Enjoy!
Air Fryer French Fries
These will go well with your delicious air fryer chicken. And what is amazing about this side dish is that it is also super healthy and breathtakingly delicious. French fries are a yummy healthy alternative to the regular fried fries.
- 4 large-sized potatoes. (sweet or Irish)
- 3 tablespoon full olive, sunflower or canola oil
- 1 pinch of salt (optional)
How Do You Cook Your Air Fryer French Fries?
To cook your air fryer french fries follow these instructions:
1. Wash the potatoes properly with the skin on.
2. Cut to desired finger size and soak in salty water for say an hour.
3. Pull the potatoes of the brine and pat dry with a kitchen paper towel.
4. Place the potatoes in a clean dry bowl, sprinkle some oil on them.
5. Air fry them for 24 to 30 minutes at a temperature of 400 degrees, tossing them around every 4-6 minutes.
6. Once it has become as crispy as you desire, pour them out and enjoy with your tasty air fryer chicken.
It is best to consume the chicken the same day but if reheating, cook the chicken in air fryer on 370 degrees for say 8-10 minutes.
Timing for the cooking differs as per the brand of air fryer in use. So it is best to use your meat thermometer. Be sure the meat cooked up to 165 degrees or even more, but at the least, 165 degrees.
It is best to use organic chicken whenever possible. Always chop off the excess fat on all the chicken.
Never overload your air fryer basket. If need be, cook your meat in small batches.
When there is a need to use oil, use very little quantity to avoid damaging your air fryer. Also, be sure to spray the oil directly on the dish and not all over your air fryer.
Be sure to use some parts of the meat with skin as the flour coating will not stay on it or turn out crispy on the skinless parts.
The thickness of the meat determines the time it should be cooked.
Never cook air fryer chicken on a dirty air fryer as this may cause smoking. Be sure to clean out the air dryer after every use. This makes it easier to use for the next cook time.
You can also substitute your favorite or available spices and herbs if you cannot find the exact ones in the recipes. Use what you can find in your locality. But be careful not to use too much of the erratic spices, so that you can savor and enjoy air fryer chicken in its unique and original deliciousness!
You can totally agree that cooking chicken in an air fryer is a cooking adventure worth exploring because it is simple, healthy and quick to prepare. As mentioned earlier in this article, air fryer chicken is a versatile, easy to make recipe. You can customize and personalize these recipes to suit your taste. Try out these easy to make, delicious, and super versatile air fryer chicken recipes and you will be glad you did!
Check out these related in-depth articles:
- How to Cook Fish in Air Fryer
- How To Deep Fry Without A Deep Fryer
- How To Cook Bacon In Air Fryer
- How To Use NuWave Air Fryer
- What Does An Air Fryer Do – What You Should Know
- How to Cook French Fries in an Air Fryer
How to Cook Chicken in An Air fryer– Related FAQS
What is the Difference Between Chicken Tenderloins and Chicken Breasts?
The difference between chicken tenderloins and chicken breasts are:
1. Size: Their sizes are not the same. The chicken breast is way bigger than the tenderloins.
2. Shape: Tenderloins are slim and lean while chicken breasts are the unequal shapes of a teardrop. It is chunky at one end and narrows at the other end.
3. Nutrient content: Chicken breast is a good source of protein, low in fat, contains vitamins D, B-6, zinc, magnesium, calcium, potassium, and other minerals. Tenderloins, on the other hand, have more calories, sodium, little minerals, and vitamins.
How Do You Cook Banquet Frozen Chicken in An Air Fryer?
To cook banquet frozen chicken in an air fryer, follow these instructions:
1. Take time to season and marinate the chicken.
2. Allow the air fryer to preheat to 180o degrees Celsius (350o degrees Fahrenheit) at five minutes.
3. Put the chicken in the fryer basket after spraying some oil to air fry.
4. Set the cooking time at twenty minutes.
5. At the end of the cooking time, look over the chicken to see if it is properly cooked.
6. Serve with your favorite side dish.
Can You Air Fry Chicken Patties?
You can air fry chicken patties. To achieve this, follow the steps below:
1. Preheat the air fryer to 360 degrees Fahrenheit for three minutes.
2. Put the chicken patties in the basket of the air fryer.
3. Allow cooking for eleven minutes.
4. Turn over the patties to get all the sides cooked.
5. Assemble your tomatoes, onions, and lettuce while the chicken patties are cooking in the air fryer.
6. Put up your burgers as soon as the patties are cooked.
7. Place them in a plate and savor the richness.
How Do You Make Chicken Soft and Juicy?
To make your chicken soft and juicy, follow these simple instructions:
1. Marinate the chicken. This can be done with spices and seasonings of your choice such as buttermilk, yoghurt, and herbs. To get the best out of your marinade, allow the chicken to steep overnight to get all the deliciousness.
2. Pounding the chicken: This involves hitting the chicken to make it light. In doing this, it breaks the meat fibers for speedy cooking. When it cooks fast, it prevents the chicken from being overcooked, keeping it succulent.
3. Basting: This involves using butter or oil to spray on the chicken while it cooks. This method also helps to keep the children tender.
Can You Stack Chicken in An Air Fryer?
You cannot stack chicken in an air fryer because the air fryer works by circulating hot air over the food area to get it evenly cooked. If you stack your chicken, for example, the chicken breasts, you will observe that the sides of the breasts will redden. The chicken at the center will not get the hot air that is distributed within the air fryer.
If the chicken breasts at the center do not get the hot air; they will end up undercooked and terrible. The only parts of the chicken which can be stacked and still give a crispy result are the drumsticks and wings. When stacking the drumsticks and wings, do not stack them in over two layers.
Can I Put My Air Fryer on the Countertop?
Your air fryer should be kept on the countertop. The countertop should be high quality so it does not get burned easily or melted by the heat coming from the air fryer. The countertop should also be level so that the air fryer will not topple and fall.
Knowing that air fryers are electrical appliances that heat to cook food, they need 12.7 cm of space around where they are kept to get the exhaust channel working perfectly.
Counter mats can also shield the countertop where the air fryer is kept. So, it will be wise to invest in fascinating counter mats.